Pitlochry estimated population 2,564, is a burgh in the council area of Perth and Kinross, Scotland, lying on the River Tummel. It is largely a Victorian town, whose success as a tourist resort was due to Queen Victoria visiting the area in 1842 and the arrival of the railway in 1863. It remains a popular tourist resort today and is particularly known as a centre for hillwalking, surrounded by mountains such as Ben Y Vrackie. The town has retained many stone-built Victorian buildings. Pitlochry dates largely from Victorian times, though the area known as Moulin, once a separate village, is older. Moulin Kirk was granted by the Earl of Atholl to Dunfermline Abbey in 1180. Moulin became a burgh of barony in 1511. Pitlochry itself first started to grow after General George Wade built a road through the town as part of his effort to improve access to rural Scotland between 1725 and 1737 as a response to the Jacobite Rising of 1715.